1. Of the 33 states in existence in 1860, 18
were free states, and 15 were slave
2. The 34th state to join the country was Kansas.
3. Between November 1860 and March 1861, seven
states seceded from the Union: South Carolina,
Louisiana, and Texas.
4. After March 1861, four more states
seceded from the Union: Virginia, North
Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas.
5. The slave state which was split in two because of the war
was Virginia. The new state was
originally called Kanawha, but it was soon renamed West
6. The four other slave states which did not join the
Confederacy (the "border states") were Delaware,
7. The 36th state to join the Union was Nevada.